Tuesday, September 27, 2022

SHE-HULK EPISODE 6 REVIEW

 

If you got it, flaunt it.

            Before I get into the meat of it, I wanna address something. I’ve seen a few people say that this show is lacking because it’s a comedy that doesn’t make them laugh. Back in the days when I could sit and watch TV regularly, I watched a lot of sitcoms. I can count on one—maybe two—hands the number of them that actually made me erupt in laughter. There’s laugh-out-loud funny, and then there’s enjoyably funny. The latter may not make you laugh, but you’ll still have a good time. And that’s what I find She-Hulk is. There have been moments where I’ve laughed, but for the most part I find the show to just be enjoyably funny. I have a good time with each episode, and that’s really the least I can ask for my investment of 30 minutes.

Always the bridesmaid...

            Now, onto the episode! Are you ready for some Daredevil? Well, keep being ready because he’s not in this episode! Nope, it’s Jen feeling obligated to attend the wedding of an old friend she lost touch with and, wow. Talk about bridezillas. Jen is a lot nicer a person than I am because if I had to put up with all the crap she did, I would’ve been long gone. And can we just give props to cousin Ched’s (Nicholas Cirillo) embracing the family legacy with his DJ name, The In-Ched-able Hulk? Overall, the whole A-plot was pretty fun, if not frustrating in parts. It did a lot to showcase that Jen is starting to embrace her Shulkie side while maybe becoming increasingly insecure with her Jen side. Which is why the guy who took an interest in Jen at the wedding could be seen as highly suspect, although hopefully he’s not. I mean, c’mon, throw a girl a bone!

Mr. Immortal learns the price of "love".

            The B-Plot was equally fun. We get the first live-action appearance of Great Lakes Avenger Mr. Immortal (David Pasquesi) as he comes to the law firm to deal with a messy divorce. Mallory and Nikki are on his case—both legally and because of how crappy he treated all of his spouses. This is another case that I wish the episode had more time to deal with as it was really fun and had a lot of comedic potential, but for what we got it was enjoyable. We also learn a bit more about Mallory.

Shots fired!

            Comic fans then got a nice little nugget in the form of The Intelligencia. The Intelligencia was a team comprised of some of the Marvel U’s most intelligent villains banding together in common goals. In She-Hulk, it’s another bit of trolling on the toxic fandom as it’s represented as an online message board dealing with supers, with a particular section dedicated to the eradication of She-Hulk. That also segued back to the events of an earlier episode as we draw closer to the ultimate plot of the show. And, if some rumors turn out to be true, we may know who our ultimate big bad is. Dun dun DUN!

Titania had it coming.

            This episode continues the trend of seemingly disconnected events being presented to the audience whose payoff will come as the show progresses. As always, the episodes feel really short and there’s so much more story potential to be mined from the situations at hand, but the crew still manages to entertain within their limitations. You may not find it uproariously funny, but you shouldn’t ever be bored.

No comments: